Mind-Blowing Yoga Facts You Must Know
Updated: May 24, 2022
Yoga is mind-blowing for many reasons. This article will cover amazing yoga facts like historical facts about yoga, statistical yoga facts, facts about yoga and its benefits, and general yoga facts.
Find below video link for Amazing Facts About Yoga in Hindi (योग के बारे में रोचक तथ्य).
Yoga consists of physical asanas, breathing techniques, and meditation. At some point in time, we have even tried practicing yoga. In this blog we are going to uncover some interesting facts about yoga that you must know.
#1 Yoga Facts:
- Yoga is over 5000 years old and is one of the oldest known physical disciplines throughout the world.
#2 Yoga Facts:
- Lord Shiva is considered the progenitor of yoga. The first yogi or Adi Yogi. Lord Shiva has imparted the wisdom of yoga to seven individuals who came to be known as Saptarishis and were tasked with spreading it throughout the world.
#3 Yoga Facts:
- Mentions of yoga can be found in ancient texts like Rigveda, Bhagavad Gita (which tells about bhakti yoga, jnana yoga, karma yoga), and also in the Yoga Sutras written by Maharishi Patanjali.
#4 Yoga Facts:
- Ancient yoga practitioners (yogis) used Kusha grass, also known as Durva or animal skin, as a yoga mat for their yoga practices.
#5 Yoga Facts:
- Yoga classes used to be just for men, and women were not invited until 1937. Today, 72% of yoga practitioners are female (yoginis).
#6 Yoga Facts:
- Yoga was introduced to the western world by Swami Vivekanand in the late 1890s. Today, 36 million people in the United States regularly practice yoga.
#7 Yoga Facts:
- Pranayamas with slow and deep breathing in yoga can help you live longer. Yoga says that every mortal has a limited number of breaths to live life. The slower we breathe (use them), the longer we live.
#8 Yoga Facts:
- Yoga can help you find your dominant nostril. That's right, one of our nostrils is better capable of breathing than the other. The dominance of the nostril changes every 2 hours and 30 minutes (known as the Nasal cycle). When you practice yoga, you can adapt alternate nostril breathing techniques like Chandra Bhedan, Surya Bhedan, Anulom-Vilom, or Nadi Shodhan pranayamas to regulate your nostrils to breathe freely.
#9 Yoga Facts:
- A study published by the United States National Library of Medicine suggests, Yoga along with Meditation can help delay aging.
#10 Yoga Facts:
- The hardest yoga asana is not Headstand or Handstand but Savasana. Savasana or Corpse Pose is the most challenging yoga asana as it involved letting go of your thoughts and just concentrating on your body. Most yoga practitioners find it very difficult to just lie down with their body relaxed and no thoughts in mind.
#11 Yoga Facts:
- According to a study by the Pew Research Center, 6 in 10 Indians had never practiced yoga. A mere 35% of Indians mentioned that they ever practiced yoga, and only 7% of people did practice yoga daily.
#12 Yoga Facts:
- Lack of flexibility holds 32% of non-yogis from trying yoga out. Yoga is for flexibility, we don't have to be flexible to do yoga.
#13 Yoga Facts:
- Around 44% of yoga practitioners (yogis) practice yoga 2-3 times a week. Also, an average yoga practitioner spends almost $90 a month on yoga.
#14 Yoga Facts:
- Research conducted on 52 women with anxiety and depression has shown a decrease in symptoms after 12 sessions of yoga. Book online yoga classes at Yogis In The Pink today!
#15 Yoga Facts:
- Prisoners in India can reduce their sentence up to 3 months if they excel in yoga tests.
#16 Yoga Facts:
- Nearly 36,000 people set a record in India for the World's Biggest Yoga Session held on the first International Day of Yoga on June 21st, 2015. 21 June is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
#17 Yoga Facts:
- Now, for the yoga enthusiast out there. World's Oldest Yoga Instructor Dies at 101. Tao Porchon-Lynch, a French-Indian yogi, was recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher by The Guinness World Record in May 2012 when she was 93 years old.
#18 Yoga Facts:
- This is the most surprising facts about yoga. Yoga is now a registered Olympic sport. In late 2015, the USA Yoga Federation registered it for competitive purposes, and approved by the International Olympic Committee in 2016.
This list could go on forever, but here we are, with the 18 most interesting facts about yoga. Hopefully, you learned a little more about yoga than you knew before!
Before You Go, Don’t forget to subscribe Yogis In The Pink YouTube Channel to learn more about yogic concepts and techniques.
Tags: mind-blowing facts about yoga, must know yoga facts, must know facts about yoga, amazing facts about yoga, historical yoga facts, statistical facts about yoga, general facts about yoga, interesting yoga facts, surprising yoga facts,